Monday 11 February 2013

What is the Point of Twitter?

In setting up this week's tasks on Twitter, I've deliberately focused on some lighthearted topics for discussion: favourite films, things you've always wanted to do and the inevitable cat pictures (you do know that cats rule the internet, don't you?).

But I do run the danger of just convincing you that Twitter is only good for trivial, pointless things. Silly pictures, bad jokes, what I'm having for dinner.

It isn't.

Well, it could be if that's all you're interested in - but it doesn't have to be that way (sorry - I couldn't resist!)

If you only go out looking for celebrity news, then don't be surprised if that's all you get. But if you want to use it for a more serious purpose then you'll discover that there's a lot more to Twitter than just cat pictures (nice as they are). Your experience of Twitter will be driven by what you search for, who you follow, and what you tweet about.

So if you'd like to experience a side of Twitter that's a bit more substantial, adjust your use accordingly. Me? I like sciencey things and evidence based medicine, so I follow people like Brian Cox and Ben Goldacre. I also follow the accounts of several Southampton police stations.

I also follow the account of my OU tutor... who doesn't tweet too much about our course, but instead is quite politically vocal - which in itself is fascinating to read.

You'll find lots of library and HE people on Twitter, and plenty of discussion on topics that are of interest to people working in academic libraries.

If we get enough 23 Things Soton people tweeting this week, I might try and kick off a more serious topic for discussion - but that's not to say it has to come from me: if you want to start a discussion topic of your own, just go ahead :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ric,

    Have just set up my twitter account from home @UoS23OSN. Unfortunately I couldn't open your second page of instructions, but I'm assuming you are wanting us to tweet our favourite films. Anyway, I've sent a couple of tweets prefixed #sot23 - so I'm hoping that's what I needed to do to engage in discussion?? Speak tomorrow - Nick

    ReplyDelete