Monday 18 February 2013

23 Things Preparation Done!

I think that this morning I finally managed to finish preparing the last of the 23 Things tasks I was assigned. Yes, I'm afraid everyone has two more assignments from me - coming up in a couple of weeks' time we'll be looking at Flickr and Creative Commons.

I got the Flickr task sorted last week (though I've yet to work out what amazing prizes I'll be giving for the photography competition!) - and I thought I'd got the Creative Commons task sorted as well. But over the weekend I discovered a short YouTube video that includes an interview with one of the co-founders of Creative Commons, and I just had to add in a link to it.

I say "I discovered" - I mean it got mentioned in the OU assignment that I was putting together over the weekend. This year I started a Computing & IT degree with the OU - and although the first module has been rather basic, it nonetheless been very interesting, and a number of things we've looked at have come in handy for the 23 Things tasks I've written.

I'm not going to add a link to the video here - you'll have to wait until 3 March for that - but I particularly want to mention it because in addition to Creative Commons, it also looks at two other resources: The Creators Project and Kickstarter.

I hadn't heard of The Creators Project before - but it looks fascinating, and I think I'll have an explore of that in due course (I can see our WSA colleagues spending a bit of time on the site, if they've not discovered it already!).

I had heard of Kickstarter before - indeed, I've recently backed a Kickstarter project myself. This is a really interesting way of helping creative projects get funding, and I think it's a wonderful example of how the internet can really help people achieve things that they couldn't before - to the benefit of everyone involved.

In fact, I think it's so good I really want to start up a Kickstarter project of my own. If only there was something I could do that was worthy of becoming a project!

What it really brings home to me is that there are so many things out there on the internet that are deserving of our attention in the 23 Things programme, it's a shame that we can only look at a handful of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment